Friday, August 17, 2007

The color dial in my head....

Recently I pulled out my oil paints. It’s time. They’ve been away for years now. I put them aside in exchange for motherhood. They bring back memories of those first paintings I did. There was something special about oils, the way they stayed wet for days, the way they blended, and the way they smelled. I loved the smell of linseed oil. When I first started using oils, it was like a dial was turned on in my head. My sense of color came alive. It was incredible. I would look at the clouds in the sky and see colors I never saw before-hues of purple and pink in clouds that were always just white and gray. It was like I got new eyes. When I discovered those new found colors I was wowed over and over. My friend, Nancy, who was teaching me, was not surprised. She’d heard that same story from others who were new to painting.
When I took a break from painting today, I went outside to look at the clouds. I was hoping to turn up that color dial in my head. I want to see colors even more vivid then before. It didn't happen today. Maybe it’s turned up as far as it will go.

1 comment:

Sue K. said...

Yoy go girl, I can't wait to see the master piece!