Saturday, July 21, 2007

Sewing Seeds....

Isn’t it interesting how God places people at just the right place and time in our lives to plant and water the seeds of himself?
Around my middle and high school years, my friend Barb and her mom would take me to their Mother/Daughter banquets at their church. They planted seeds of God in me. I imagine it must have been a real challenge just spending time with me, because I was really self-absorbed. In her early twenties Barb got married. We continued our friendship. I have fond memories of late night card games and sidesplitting laughter at her and her husband Jeff’s kitchen table. Many years have since passed. Details of the banquets have faded. But the seeds remained.

Later in my middle and late twenties, I had another friend named Sharon. Her Mom and Grandmother were very well versed in the Bible. They took me to church with them every time they got the chance. Between the three of them, they were determined to get me saved and they didn’t have any problem telling me so. They watered the seeds in me. Sharon and her Grandmother were very artistic. I longed to be as talented as they were. I had some artistic gifts that God was not ready to reveal yet. I enjoyed being around them and watching them paint and draw. Like Barb and her Mom, I haven’t forgotten them.



During those years, there was an occasion that required me to ride somewhere in a car with my Aunt Jackie. She was (and still is) very soft spoken and gracious. In that short ride, she spoke to me about God and how he loved me. She watered the seeds. I don’t remember anything else about that ride. I don’t even remember where we were going.

Then in my thirties my future husband came into my life, talking about God….living for God….watering the seeds of God. I’ve been growing in faith ever since, trying to plant my own God seeds.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Karen, I just found your blog and I love it! I'm so excited to have you in Velocity this fall where you can plant and water seeds. Yeah!!!